About This Tour
Welcome to the GastroClub!
The Gastro-club (that can be enjoyed either in Gastro-enduro or Gastro-Adventure mode) is our jewel of the crown, as we consider the Portuguese gastronomy to be this country’s greatest treasure!
For this reason Richard, “The Captain” of Jarvis operation in Portugal, has decided to include in our range of activities a special gastronomical weekend program, sharing its focus on providing perfect riding experience (95% scenic paved roads / 5% easy off-road) but also to take you to the best venues and savor Portuguese dishes that are both unique and truly exceptional... the perfect adventure to be shared with a partner!
Long story short:Two full riding days through the most iconic locations and roads of the central region, with a taste of the local cuisine for lunch, and a phenomenal feast Saturday night in one of “The Captains’s” favorite restaurants and chefs.
These gastro events are held every fortnight at the weekend, Friday to Sunday and the venues will change every 2 months to create a new style food club.
You join the club by taking part in your first event, after this you will receive your membership number and receive 5% discount on all subsequent visits.
The program (From May 2022 to July 2022)
You will be transferred from Caldas da Rainha or Alcobaça to our Jarvis headquarters (near Alcobaça). Here you will meet the team, your tour guide, your new steed (the amazing Husqvarna Norden 901), test the riding gear and take care of the paperwork.
We will then take you to our selected nearby hotel where you can relax and prepare for the upcoming adventure!
After breakfast we will bring you to the HQ, hop on the bikes and set out to explore the surroundings! We will begin with a visit to Nazare’s Fort, from where we might be able to see the record breaking waves. We will then ride down along the coast, ride by S. Martinho and end up in near Peniche, where we will have lunch by the seashore.
In the afternoon we will pay a visit to the Obidos Castle, then ride down to Montejunto (the tallest mountain in the region from where you can see in the distance some of the iconic places where we’ve been today), and later stop by the salt mines in Rio Maior, a site that has been functioning for over 800 years.
By the end of the afternoon we will be back, in time for a shower and prepare for the night’s feast, his time in the Captain’s favorite Restaurant: “O Castigo”, dedicated to the art of grilling and, serving some of the best meats in the Iberic Peninsula.
(You will be taken by van from the Hotel to the Restaurant and back)
This time we will make our way North-East, away from the ocean and into the green mountains of central Portugal.
Some highlights of this day will be the ride around the “Castelo de Bode” dam, where the views are breathtaking, the smooth curvy roads are never ending and fluvial beaches and cozy little towns we will find along the way will be unforgettable.
In the afternoon we will stop by the Almourol Castle, a centuries old fortification built in the middle of the Tejo River, and then make our way back to Alcobaça through the mountain passes of Mira de Aire.
Once in Alcobaça, we get our stuff and say goodbye... for now!
What is included
- Full board: Accomodation (twin room) x2, gastro-dinner x1 and breakfast (x2), lunch (x2)
- 2 days Motorcycle rental (2022 Husqvarna Norden 901) with 3rd party insurance
- Transfers to and from “Caldas da Rainha” or “Alcobaça”
- Gift pack including Jarvis Jersey to wear during the trip
- Expert guide present at all times (English, Spanish and Portuguese speaker)
- All fuel and tolls throughout the trip
- Basic Personal insurance
- Protection equipment: Helmet, boots, armor + knee pads + gloves
- Waterproof overalls
- Rent the bike for extra days
- Single room supplement
- Special transfers to Lisbon or extra accommodation: Please contact us
- Returnable deposit: 1500€
- Minimal protection equipment: Helmet, boots, armor/armored vest, gloves and kneepads (or rent it from us)
- Driver’s license ← No license no bike, sorry guys!
The bikes will be equipped with 2 x 15L soft bags, so plenty of room for the required personal effects for this trip. All extra unnecessary luggage can stay back in Alcobaça in Jarvis headquarters.
- Mandatory protection equipment: Helmet, boots, armor + knee pads + gloves (or rent it from us)
- Waterproof overalls or waterproof riding gear (or rent it from us)
- Basic riding apparel à (pants + jacket + extra jersey/tshirt (or rent/buy it from us)
- Set of practical clothing to use for dinner (shirt+pants+snickers/shoes)
- 1 fleece, sweater or not too bulky jacket (something warm for the short night walks)
- Underwear + socks (socks get sweaty inside the boots so definitely bring a pair per day)
- Your personal hygiene kit
- Travel insurance with repatriation
- Small medical kit comprising: Aspirins/paracetamol/some form of pain killer /Lip salve/Sun cream
- Energy tablets to chew during the days